Fall In Love With More Free Templates! Click Here To Get Your Own Smitten Blog Design... »

Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Tomatoes

Last year was the first time I canned plain tomatoes, and I was shocked that I used the last jar early this spring...so this year I am planning to do a few more. I tried a new method this year to see if it would make any difference in flavor, but the processing time was really long, so I plan to do the rest the way I did them last year...so here's my recipe for how I did this batch:
Wash tomatoes. dip in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds or until skins split. Then dip in cold water, slip off skins and remove cores. Leave whole or halve. Add bottled lemon juice to hot jars (Pints: 1 Tbsp, Quarts: 2 Tbsp.). Fill jars with raw tomatoes, pressing until spaces between them fill juice. Leave 1/2 inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe jar rims. Adjust lids and process.
Water bath: Pints or quarts: 85 minutes.
Made 2009: 5 pints

2 comments:

  1. What a great blog!! I am starting canning for my 1st time this year!! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love canning...it all tastes so good and it really isn't all that hard once you get in the swing of things. Plus, I know what's in it! Glad to hear you have started canning, too!

    ReplyDelete